Machu Picchu

After a few days resting in Cusco and thinking about it, I finally decided to go visit the Machu Picchu, even if I wasn’t really exciting about the amount of people that goes there every day.

I woke up early to go to the Plaza de Armas to get a bus to Hidroelectrica, which was the cheapest option to get to the Machu Picchu ( 60 sol only ). After about 7 hours on the bus finally reached the end of the road. I started to walk the last 10km following the railway to reach Aguas Calientes, the small city that stands at the bottom of Machu Picchu.

2hrs walk following the railway to arrive in Aguas Calientes.

I found a relatively cheap hostel to spend the night and went to bed early. The next day I woke up at 5 am and starting my way up to Machu Picchu. The sun was already up at this time but it was pretty foggy as I was starting my climb on the trail.

I only managed to get a ticket to enter the site at 7 am so I had to wait a bit at the top before entering. I started queuing and I was finally able to get in. I arrived on site, it was already a bit crowded and the clouds were flying over the mountains, which created a really mystical atmosphere.

A few llamas chilling around.

I then started my way up on an inca trail to Montana Machu Picchu, were I knew I would get a good view of the site and its surroundings. The trail has a lot of stairs and can be quite steep sometimes.

The view from the top of the mountain was just amazing. I was lucky with the weather as the sun showed up for a bit when I was eating a well deserved sandwich at the top.

Back from the mountain that took me about 2 hours up and down, I headed to the famous ruins of Machu Picchu. It was getting more and more crowded and once you go down in the ruins, you can’t come back up as there is a only a one way visit.

It’s crazy to see the work the Incas did with the stones constructions. Everything fits perfectly together, without any joints between them.

Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. Press ESC to cancel.